Oh yes how we love raw cookie dough and chocolate chip is my favorite.
Not sure how many of you remember the 2009 E coli outbreak that came from eating raw cookie dough. The culprit was Nestle chocolate chip cookie dough. 35 people had to be hospitalized in what was thought to be from the raw eggs but the flour was to blame.
The researchers did not say which make of cookie dough the outbreak related to – but reports at the time identified Nestle Toll House cookie dough as the problem.
Neil and her colleagues are not able to say which of the ingredients, or what part of the manufacturing process, led to the contamination of the cookie dough.
But Neil said flour could be to blame as it goes through much less stringent processes compared to other ingredients.
Pasteurized eggs, molasses, sugar, baking soda and margarine all go through a process to kill off pathogens, whereas flour does not.
The study noted that several manufacturers, including Nestle, have started using heat-treated flour. (the daily mail)
So as we bake for the holidays this year let’s not eat any cookie dough. We want to enjoy the season at home not in the hospital.